Thursday, May 15, 2008

Call for Apostles

I found the link to this while reading Charlie Wear's blog:
Where are all the apostles?
I find myself missing them more and more lately. Which is interesting because I'm not even sure what I'm missing. What is it I want an apostle to do for me? It seems like there must be something. Is there anyone in the Church today that has the authority to say the kinds of things that Paul did? We're drowning in opinions and strategies and "movements" and "we just need to get back tos." But we don't seem to have anyone that can stand up and say, "I'm an apostle by the will of God. All this nonsense has to stop because it's divisive and it's fruitless. And whoever disagrees with me, let's just see which of us God's power stands behind!"

That was Scott Bane. It's been a while since I heard anyone talking about apostles. I believe apostles are to be a part of the latter-time landscape. I'm aware that many people who claim to be apostles, or saying that this one or that one is an apostle (and therefore you're out of order if you don't listen to him/her), but I don't believe they've fully arrived yet. If they have, they're hidden for the moment. The test of who's really an apostle may well be what Scott says above, someone with the boldness to suffix his proclamation with, "...and whoever disagrees with me, let's just see which of us God's power stands behind!"

That would only work for a true apostle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the link! I've been out of the loop for awhile with a new job and new baby, but I surely appreciate your visit and your comment. I'm a new reader of yours. Good stuff on here.

God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Good to have you Scott. I finally have your blog on my personal RSS feed, so you'll be seeing more of me.

blessings