Thursday, August 31, 2006

Abie's Lullaby

What follows is the lyrics to a lullaby I made up for my son. The inspiration is another song that my Grandmother used to sing to me (she also sang it to my mom and my aunt), about a nest in an old oak tree, and the wee birds asleep in it. Abie likes that motif so much that when I launch into a different song, he says, "Birds in the wee wee nest?"

I don't just want to sing the same old song to him yet again, so I made this one up. As you can see, you can just keep singing it as the second stanza leads right into the first stanza again. The tune is a slow Irish style one:

there is a bird in a wee wee nest
up in a tree where he lays his head to rest
there the bird's papa does sing so sweet
he's singing a lullaby to put the wee bird to sleep

he sings of a boy in a wee wee bed
up in a bedroom he lays his sleepy head
there the boy's papa does sing so sweet
he's singing a lullaby to put the wee boy to sleep

he sings of a bird in a wee wee nest
(etc.)

No comments: