Thursday, March 09, 2006

Money and Happiness

If you like the cartoon Dilbert, you'll probably also like Scott Adams' (the cartoonist's) blog.

Anyway, here's something from one of his recent posts:

Yesterday I asked two 8-year old girls the following question:

If you had to choose between being rich and just a little bit happy versus poor and extremely happy, which would you pick?

To find out how the wee girls responded (rather interesting), plus read a lot of interesting discussion from his readers -- go there ...

A few choice comments from his readers:

Perhaps people who think that money doesn't affect happiness have never been poor, but people who think that money can make you happy have never been rich...

Money may not buy happiness, but it ... makes misery more comfortable.

One simple phrase: "Happiness don't pay the bills."

I consulted the manufacturer's manual for humans, and found this:

Give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the LORD?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

There are many more, 118 at the last count, and some are good but too long to include here.



No comments: